Speeding ticket help needed

Discussion in 'Non Technical' started by Blipman, Feb 21, 2003.

  1. Blipman

    Blipman Beer hooves totally work

    my brother was pulled over for doing 88 in a 50 zone last night. The zone is NOT a residential zone (service station and shopping centre one side, several shops on the other, the road is the only arterial to certain areas within about 30kms of Emerald). There is signage indicating 70 along this road with no apparent change to indicate the zone changing to 50.Is there any way to get the fine reduced from 38 over to 18 over as the speed limit in that area should suggest? (still been a bad boy, but not so much).   The mandatory suspensions in Victoria for this are 6 months loss of license vs. only a fine at 18 over.... for someone living in Emerald this is not good. Is there anyway to still drive (have heard of going on probation of some sort, where you can't get a ticket or there's even bigger trouble).Any help would be appreciated.... he'd have to quit his band, might not be able to go to a new course he's enrolled in etc.... public transport in Emerald is virtually non-existant.Ben
  2. AntonD

    AntonD Guest

    That is the worst luck.

    I lost my license for doing 30 and over but in NSW you only lose your license for 3 months and cop a large fine. Sorry to hear your brothers misfortune.

    WYKKED <b><font color=red>2 Much Trouble</font></b>

    You'll have to do some work......>>

    You can contest it in court and if you can prove that there are no signs indicating a change of speed You might be lucky. A good way of doing this would be to get a video tape of both sides of the road entering and leaving the area, then get a JP to sign a stat dec that it is true and factual at the time of the incident. A judge can apply differing penalties but that is only for drink driving. If you speed the law is very black and white.
  4. Zcar91

    Zcar91 New Member

    Get an ACT license...>>

    and keep the Vic one as well. I can assist with a "temporary" address if required.Cheers
  5. RedZedMikey

    RedZedMikey RZM should now be DZM

    Ouch! Sorry to hear >>

    about Josh (is that right) and the ticket.
    As far as I know, the only "optional" plan equivalent to a driving good behaviour bond applies if you accumulate 12 points without a single offence being of the licence losing variety. Marek (Bigkid) is the only person I know who has done this.However there may be the opportunity to apply for a special circumstances licence - not sure though.Other than that I think the only approach is to take it to court either representing yourself, or using a solicitor. You are then at the mercy of the judge.By the way, is the 50k rule worded for residential areas, or built-up areas? I always thought the latter. After making sure that there is a 70 sign on that same road before where he was caught, and no subsequent change to 50; I think there would be some sort of a case to make, but I ain't no lawyer and cops and judges may disagree.
  6. blue fairy

    blue fairy Guest

    Im assuming Emerald Vic and not Emerald Qld?

    It states that in qld that Speeding - at least 30km/h but less than 45km/h over the speed limit is a $180.00 fine and the loss of 3 Demerit points.I'm unsure of the system in Vic, but worst case, he goes to court and has to plead his case to the judge.An old friend of mine did that and had a restriced license, as where he lived had no public transport for him to get to work. So he was permitted to drive to and from work, (mind you he never obeyed that rule past the 1st couple of weeks.) but if you get caught doing another offence, don't bother going back to court... it's not pretty he tells me.I guess the best thing to do would be to look up vicroads (or whatever your transport office is called) and get some details of punishments for speeding offences.best of luck, and I hope I made sense in this somewhere... am kinda rambling a bit.
  7. blue fairy

    blue fairy Guest

    url to vic roads and their new laws

    on speeding... :( http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrninte.nsf/c8fe08f91030f82a4a256ada000b7e6e/8fe7acd0f455eb8aca256c8e001e4a25/$FILE/speeding.pdfAccording to the page, after the 15th of Dec 2002, it is automatic licence suspension if you travel at 25km/h or more over the speed limit.
    Thats pretty nasty stuff compared to Qld rules.Can he prove that the signs say 70?
  8. JEDI-77

    JEDI-77 Jedi Master

    get a camera.....

    and take photo's of the road and of the sign post saying 70km. If it is marked as 70km, then it should be 70km. If it was 50km, there would be no sign post at all or a sign post saying 50km.Hope this helps.CheersJEDI-77
  9. Bagz

    Bagz New Member

    Ouch! Does he have a history of speeding->>>

    I'm embarrassed to say I've got several mates who had only minor traffic infringements, then got caught with high range DUI's. Although this is loss of license, the judge was fairly lean--eeennnt (Someone wanna help with that speeling :))- 2 guys got off with 12 month limited use, 12 month probationary, another girl I know got off with 12 month probationary. They all pleaded their good nature/circumstance/financial hardship loss of employment.Get him to write a letter to the Cheif officer (or whoever is resposible in your state- it'll say on ticket) pleading his case- This MAY help. State the situation with the signage, and write it all in a pleading "I'm a confused innoccent, caught in a beaurocratic bungle" kind of way.
    I say this as another friend I had got out of driving unregistered vehicle fine ($500) by doing it. Worth a try, but if it fails he'll need to go to caught and hope he gets a sympathetic hearing. Legal reps(lawyer) often know the judges and their sympathies- so get a good one.

    Damn harsh laws in vic :| :|Cheers
  10. Caesura

    Caesura Guest

    Thanks guys.

    Hey, Ben's brother here. Yes, I am an ass. Anyway, in going over my options and driving through the area where I was booked I noticed that, although it is built up, there are signs saying 60 on BOTH sides of where I assume I was pinged. Ok, so I was still speeding, but this now reduces my penalty to ONE month suspension, not six. I can live with that. So I think I'll either take some pictures, or make a video, and take it to the local cop station adn get them signed and such, and make my case that way. I refuse to believe that the 200m stretch of road I was on drops to 50, then back up. So I just wanted to say thanks for the help, advice and whatnot. Yer all invited to the next gig, if Ben ever lets me advertise on here.Thanks!
  11. WYKKED

    WYKKED <b><font color=red>2 Much Trouble</font></b>

    Just post in NZR and Benny can't stop ya. (n/m)


Share This Page