PDA

View Full Version : OBD compliance for z32

wetvelvet
15-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Can anyone confirm that the z32 is OBD2 compliant?
Does anyone know what protocol they use? (ISO 9141, KWP2000, SAE J1850 CAN bus)

Chrispy
15-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Nope, OBD1 for Jap and Aussie Z32's.

wetvelvet
15-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Does anyone know of a BLUETOOTH OBD1 dongle? There are heaps of OBD2 BT dongles going for under $50...

wetvelvet
15-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I believe the Nissans use ISO9141 protocol.
I am also led to believe that the OBD2 spec came out for cars post 96.. however i still see reference to Z32 compliance with OBD2....

Does anyone know if OBD is a subset of OBD2?

a2zed
15-09-2010, 02:00 PM
OBDII was introduced into the Z32 in 1996 as with most other manufactures and did use ISO1941.

Prior to this all Z32's were OBD which was not a standard protocol as with OBDII, most OBD cars rely on RS232 communication. OBD is not a subset of OBDII, it is a completely different system and not backward compatable.

Chrispy
15-09-2010, 03:23 PM
OBDII was introduced into the Z32 in 1996 as with most other manufactures and did use ISO1941.

Even the Jap cars went to OBD2 in '96? I'm pretty sure somone here had a '97 model and it still had OBD1. I know it was definately OBD2 in the states in '96.

a2zed
15-09-2010, 05:57 PM
The 96 service manual has all the OBDII error codes.

wetvelvet
15-09-2010, 10:46 PM
are you aware of any bluetooth OBD dongles? heaps of OBD2 BT dongles out there...

brisz
16-09-2010, 03:17 AM
are you aware of any bluetooth OBD dongles? heaps of OBD2 BT dongles out there...

Use a serial Consult cable with one of these, should work, haven't done it myself.

Bluetooth to RS-232 Converter: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4130

Have seen them slightly cheaper else where, but if it doesn't work you can probably take it back to Jaycar within 7 days.

Serial Consult cable: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-Consult-Cable-Skyline-300zx-Silvia-180sx-etc-/220665298625?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3360ad3ec1

Chrispy
16-09-2010, 07:24 AM
The 96 service manual has all the OBDII error codes.

Which manual? US, Jap or Aus?

Vader
16-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Sounds to me like you are trying to get OBD info into your iPad?

Good luck with that. I don't know of any Nissan OBD software that runs on an iPad.

NewKleer
17-09-2010, 02:51 PM
OBD isnt a standard like OBDII, its just 'some form of on board diagnostics'. most people use OBD to mean 'something before OBDII'.

nissan had 'consult' diagnostics system until it switch to 'consult II' with most new models made from 1999. some consult cars also had OBDII (e.g. 96+ models in USA which required it). other cars obtained OBDII when they switched to consultII. very few cars support consultII, but not OBDII (some patrols and other australian or other areas where OBDII wasnt mandatory).

im not aware of anyone who has tried a serial-bluetooth adaptor and got it to work, although in theory it should.

there is nothing for the ipad or iphone, and unlikely to ever be.

wetvelvet
20-09-2010, 07:05 PM
OBDII was ratified as a defacto (non-mandatory) standard for onboard diagnostic with 3 variants in mind that was implemented since Jan1 1996 (USA).. Pre OBD2 most cars had their own onboard diagnostics independent of any standardised connector, bus and error coding.

There are bluetooth dongles and software for PC/Mac and smartphones (pocketPC/WindowsCE). Why you would say there is anything unlikelyto be developed for the ipad/iphone is beyond me. Infact, the most likely development would be for the iPad.

p5yk3r
20-09-2010, 07:14 PM
OBDII was ratified as a defacto (non-mandatory) standard for onboard diagnostic with 3 variants in mind that was implemented since Jan1 1996 (USA).. Pre OBD2 most cars had their own onboard diagnostics independent of any standardised connector, bus and error coding.

There are bluetooth dongles and software for PC/Mac and smartphones (pocketPC/WindowsCE). Why you would say there is anything unlikelyto be developed for the ipad/iphone is beyond me. Infact, the most likely development would be for the iPad.

'cos all us 300zx owners went straight out and bought an iPad the day it came out...

wetvelvet
20-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Actually a quick search shows iPhone/iTouch apps already developed for OBDII diagnostics/reporting.. DevToaster (product REV).. selling on special for $29.99

"Rev monitors, displays, charts, and records real-time data by interacting with your vehicle's onboard diagnostic system. Rev can also check and reset "Check Engine" lights and trouble codes and much more!

** Proud Winner of the 2009 Popular Mechanics Editor's Choice Award! **"

NewKleer
20-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Why you would say there is anything unlikelyto be developed for the ipad/iphone is beyond me. Infact, the most likely development would be for the iPad.

read the post before mine (quoted below), thats what i was replying to - there is unlikely to be anything for the ipad/iphone for nissan consult

Sounds to me like you are trying to get OBD info into your iPad?

Good luck with that. I don't know of any Nissan OBD software that runs on an iPad.

Vader
20-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Why you would say there is anything unlikelyto be developed for the ipad/iphone is beyond me. Infact, the most likely development would be for the iPad.

Well probably because NewKleer is THE developer of the worlds best Zed Diagnostic software.

Edit: (Well, apart from the Nissan branded Consult software)

And if that was debatable (and let's face it, a lot of things are), then it is definitely a fact that his software is the only Commercial software out there (that I know of) that is still under development/support.

Dangerous
20-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Remember researching this a loooong time ago. OBD11 was mandated in the US for cars manufactured after 1996. It defined, plugs, protocols, error codes etc, in an effort to make it easier and cheaper for auto mechanics to buy one diagnostic tool for all cars, rather than one for each manufacturer. From memory, the reason given was to allow smaller mechanics to be able to afford equipment that would allow them to properly diagnose and tune cars, thus decreasing service costs and pollution at the same time. From there, it spread out over the world market, starting with cars that were sold in the US as well as elsewhere. Prior to that, "OBD" just meant that the car manufacturer had its own way of plugging in and interrogating the EMS, and everyone had a different way of doing it.

Wetvelvet, PM Audiobuzz, as he has a Zed, an iPad, and probably a wish to make them talk :D

AndyMac
21-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Which manual? US, Jap or Aus?

Japan delivered cars never converted to OBDII, only cars for delivery to the states to comply with Cali emission regulations or somesuch...

Z steve
27-04-2012, 09:01 AM
has anyone had any success with this?

cheers,

steve

Wasgood
27-04-2012, 09:09 AM
No.

NewKleer
27-04-2012, 09:16 AM
has anyone had any success with this?

cheers,

steve

you might need to be more specific, given how many things were discussed in this thread. but likely the answer will still be no :)

Z steve
27-04-2012, 10:07 AM
i Am looking at buying and OBD I - OBD II adapter For using an OBDKey WiFi tp use the Rev app on an Ipad has anyone else tried this?

Cheers,

Steve

NewKleer
27-04-2012, 10:15 AM
It wont work, theres no way to 'adapt' Consult/OBDI to OBDII. Different electrical signalling, circuitry, different communications protocol, different way of transferring data.

your only real chance, would be to source a US ecu, and wire up an OBDII port to it - but i dont know if any of the other wiring is compatible or if you can even do this. but if you can, its the only way you're going to get OBDII stuff working on a z32. otherwise, you're stuck with nissan consult products unfortunately - its the only reason theyre still made, because you cant 'convert' consult to OBDII.

bRACKET
27-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Not true. Member Jedi_77 has a bluetooth dongle on his OBD port that communicates to a pocket PC on his dash. Took a bit of fiddling to get working IIRC, but unsure.

Maybe he can chime in on this... Or PM him.

NewKleer
27-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Steve is wanting to convert to OBDII which cant be done - Jedi_77 is using a bluetooth dongle to connect to the consult port and use ecutalk, a consult app, not to convert to OBDII and use OBDII software.

Z steve
27-04-2012, 10:55 AM
but there website does say this?

Super advanced multi-protocol auto-detect processes. Further custom protocol support also available. OBDKey connects to more OBD-II and pre-OBDII vehicles than any other scan tool adapter on the market in this class.

Thoughts..

bRACKET
27-04-2012, 11:01 AM
True, but bluetooth dongle's came up in the thread, thought it might be of some use.

Why do you want OBD2 anyway? Diagnostics? Get an ecutalk and be done with it, can't wait for mine!

Z steve
27-04-2012, 11:02 AM
for use with ipad and the Rev App

bRACKET
27-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Why not the conzult software on a pocket pc or just ecutalk?

NewKleer
27-04-2012, 11:11 AM
but there website does say this?

Super advanced multi-protocol auto-detect processes. Further custom protocol support also available. OBDKey connects to more OBD-II and pre-OBDII vehicles than any other scan tool adapter on the market in this class.

Thoughts..

any pre-OBDII vehicles wont be ones with nissan consult. its probably just the few vehicles that came out with OBDII before it was officially released etc (and as such may only have minor differences to real OBDII and therefore that software can support it). but those vehicles do have the OBDII signalling etc which is why they can do that.

bottom line - theres no way that your current Z32 as it is (i.e. not being a US one and therefore no OBDII port) can be used by any OBDII software. you wont find any exceptions, you wont find any software that can magically support it. the only software/hardware that can support it are those specifically designed for nissan consult protocol.

Wasgood was correct when he succinctly said 'no' :)

ryzan
27-04-2012, 11:56 AM
You might be able to get a full loom out of an obd2 zed in the states though they aren't overly common. Then you would have to rewire your car completely and mess about changing wires around for lhd-rhd. Too much work just to use an ipad in your car LOL. Plenty of alternatives available that will probably work better anyway.

Z steve
27-04-2012, 12:04 PM
yeah but ive already got the ipad dont want to have to buy something else.. oh well just have to put this in the too hard basket for now...

thanks,

steve

frysie
27-04-2012, 12:08 PM
yeah but ive already got the ipad dont want to have to buy something else.. oh well just have to put this in the too hard basket for now...

thanks,

steve

which is why you dont buy apple sh1tepads.

bRACKET
27-04-2012, 04:43 PM

thanks,

steve
Lol so you got an ipad without knowing if it'll work for your application?

Nice.

Vader
27-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Lol so you got an ipad without knowing if it'll work for your application?

Nice.

Gotta love the Apple marketing. People don't know why, or what they will do with them, but they just gotta have one. lolz

Z steve
27-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah coz I'm stupid!!....have had the iPad longer than the car....

bRACKET
27-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Yeah coz I'm stupid!!....have had the iPad longer than the car....
Haha, sell up, get an ecutalk. Problem solved, plus you'll come out on top!

Z steve
27-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Haha, sell up, get an ecutalk. Problem solved, plus you'll come out on top!
Yeah that would be like me telling u too sell ur head unit and buy an ecu talk...lol

Wasgood
27-04-2012, 06:16 PM
ecutalk can run on pocket PC.

Wasgood
27-04-2012, 06:17 PM
THEY ARE SO USEFUL. It's worth it to just get one of those.

Wasgood
27-04-2012, 06:18 PM
You can get an ECUtalk LCD display that replaces your headunit.

Wasgood
27-04-2012, 06:37 PM
My plan was to buy a raspberry pi (www.raspberrypi.org) and hook it up permanently to ECUtalk and then be able to log and record stats, the problem being there's no consult program for linux (that I understand)

Owen_120
27-04-2012, 10:24 PM
not too sure whether it is relevant or helps or not but I remember when I was doing my mechanic apprenticeship the place I was working at had a scan tool which had like 20 different adapters which all connected to the main unit, which had the OBDII plug on it, I never got to test it with any nissans but I remember it worked on my old corolla, but there was very limited information available, I dont recall what exactly was available (other than the fault codes) but I do remember being disapointed when I compared it to something like a VT commodore which you could control the injectors, the ac fans door locks and a whole heap of other things, but from that can I assume that either the scan tool could read all of the different formats of diagnostics or did the adapter have some sort of circuitry inside it to convert the signals to OBDII? Im guessing the first one being as like 1 or 2 of the adapters were just wires and plugs.

Vader
27-04-2012, 10:27 PM
not too sure whether it is relevant or helps or not but I remember when I was doing my mechanic apprenticeship the place I was working at had a scan tool which had like 20 different adapters which all connected to the main unit, which had the OBDII plug on it, I never got to test it with any nissans but I remember it worked on my old corolla, but there was very limited information available, I dont recall what exactly was available (other than the fault codes) but I do remember being disapointed when I compared it to something like a VT commodore which you could control the injectors, the ac fans door locks and a whole heap of other things, but from that can I assume that either the scan tool could read all of the different formats of diagnostics or did the adapter have some sort of circuitry inside it to convert the signals to OBDII? Im guessing the first one being as like 1 or 2 of the adapters were just wires and plugs.

Whatever answers you get will all be just guessing and conjecture. EDIT: Including this reply.
Is it possible to turn a Consult (OBD) into a Consult 2 (OBDII)? Yep, of course it is. It's just a bit of interface hardware and software.
Would it be worth it? For us, possibly.
For a commercial entity? Probably (definately) not.

Wasgood
28-04-2012, 01:25 AM
OBD2 lowered the HP of the 300zxs they were put in as well right?

Vader
28-04-2012, 01:30 AM
OBD2 lowered the HP of the 300zxs they were put in as well right?

Lol, no.

lovmyzed
28-04-2012, 01:35 AM
The electrical connection isn't that important as all obd-ii software is just expecting a serial port (or emulation of a serial port) of some description to read/write from.

so a standalone processor (raspberry pi maybe) to convert between consult and obd-ii and present it on some sort of port (serial or even a tcp/ip socket) will do the trick:) If any one will ever develop/release such software is another question altogether though:D

my two bob....

It wont work, theres no way to 'adapt' Consult/OBDI to OBDII. Different electrical signalling, circuitry, different communications protocol, different way of transferring data.

your only real chance, would be to source a US ecu, and wire up an OBDII port to it - but i dont know if any of the other wiring is compatible or if you can even do this. but if you can, its the only way you're going to get OBDII stuff working on a z32. otherwise, you're stuck with nissan consult products unfortunately - its the only reason theyre still made, because you cant 'convert' consult to OBDII.

Vader
28-04-2012, 01:49 AM
The electrical connection isn't that important as all obd-ii software is just expecting a serial port (or emulation of a serial port) of some description to read/write from.

so a standalone processor (raspberry pi maybe) to convert between consult and obd-ii and present it on some sort of port (serial or even a tcp/ip socket) will do the trick:) If any one will ever develop/release such software is another question altogether though:D

my two bob....

Not quite as simple as that. OBDII works by polling for 'nodes' on specific addresses where each 'node' is also known to have certain capabilities (as defined by the manufacturer). As opposed to OBD (and specifically for Nissan, as all manufacturers did their own thing) where (in simple terms) you send a code to the ECU and it responds with the known data (or 55 if nothing is stored). Basically.

So, to do as you suggest, and ignoring the hardware differences (i.e. Serial bus vs CAN bus) we would have to intercept OBDII calls, translate them into dumb OBD calls, send those to the actual device, wait for the reply, work out what the OBD code means, translate the OBD message to an OBDII message, and return that to the OBDII software.

On top of that, the OBD port operates at 9600 baud, but the OBDII port operates at 10K, 100K or CAN Bus speeds (~125K).

Like has already been said, can it be done? Probably. Easily? No. Cheaply? Not a hope in hell.

Wasgood
28-04-2012, 07:48 AM
I read that somewhere, I thought it was due to emissions, I'm not sure where I read it. It could also be due to Variable valve timing instead of OBD2.

ryzan
28-04-2012, 09:00 AM
obd2 zeds in the states lost the vvt as part of emissions laws. Doesn't have anything to do with the obd2 itself though.

lovmyzed
28-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Not quite as simple as that. OBDII works by polling for 'nodes' on specific addresses where each 'node' is also known to have certain capabilities (as defined by the manufacturer). As opposed to OBD (and specifically for Nissan, as all manufacturers did their own thing) where (in simple terms) you send a code to the ECU and it responds with the known data (or 55 if nothing is stored). Basically.

So, to do as you suggest, and ignoring the hardware differences (i.e. Serial bus vs CAN bus) we would have to intercept OBDII calls, translate them into dumb OBD calls, send those to the actual device, wait for the reply, work out what the OBD code means, translate the OBD message to an OBDII message, and return that to the OBDII software.

On top of that, the OBD port operates at 9600 baud, but the OBDII port operates at 10K, 100K or CAN Bus speeds (~125K).

Like has already been said, can it be done? Probably. Easily? No. Cheaply? Not a hope in hell.

I am on my way to doing this conversion for interfacing DashCommand (google it) to the z32 with a few analog sensors (converted to digital using a labjack) thrown in the mix. The translation is not that difficult but still time consuming.

You query the obd-ii interface for supported sensors. From that point on you can address them.

still having said all this, the chances of a commercial product are buckleys.

lovmyzed
28-04-2012, 02:42 PM
a great opportunity to make one;)

My plan was to buy a raspberry pi (www.raspberrypi.org) and hook it up permanently to ECUtalk and then be able to log and record stats, the problem being there's no consult program for linux (that I understand)

Wrathlon
28-04-2012, 03:23 PM
I think it'd be cheaper to strip out the electrics and do a full OBDII conversion than it would to try and convert the existing stuff.

Youd need to reference every single command and setting in the ECU, translate it, output it then have something translate all the inputs into the ECU and so on and so forth.

Would be a trememndous amount of work for not really much gain.

Granted using say Torque on Android and a tablet in the dash would be pretty cool but unless you have tens of thousands of dollars just laying around to piss away on what is ultimately a pointless wank factor mod I can't see it happening.

The realistic way is this:

Get Consult, a Windows 7 Tablet and a RS232 --> Bluetooth dongle.