PDA

View Full Version : Driving Melbourne to Perth - Advice & Tips

jaybo
14-01-2010, 01:45 AM
g'day,

A mate and i are driving from Melbourne to Perth next week, but are still trying to work out the best route.
The trip isn't for a holiday- its to get a car i bought back home.

I've allowed us 3 days with an extra one as a buffer in case something should happen, so essentially 4 days.

Has anyone on here done it? if so, what would your suggested route be? We don't want to drive at night, but plan to do early mornings and can drive through until dark.

wouldn't mind incorporating the Great Ocean Road but don't know if its possible.

cheers
Jay

brisz
14-01-2010, 03:15 AM
You may be aware of whereis.com

Just put in your start address (Melbourne), then get directions to your end address (Perth), "add a stop" great ocean road.

Melbourne - Perth = 3425 k's
Via GOR = 3680 k's

I hope its in something comfortable and reliable. :)

Edit: You can do the same thing on google maps and click on the nav notes to see the corners. :D

TWIN TERROR
14-01-2010, 06:15 AM
Contact bryan posts under the name oconnor television.He has just done the trip from perth to melbourne had a interesting trip.Should be able to give you soom info.The great ocean road is a great run but will add extra time.

Tektrader
14-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Contact bryan posts under the name oconnor television.He has just done the trip from perth to melbourne had a interesting trip.Should be able to give you soom info.The great ocean road is a great run but will add extra time.

More like what NOT to do :D:D:D

RedZedMikey
14-01-2010, 12:08 PM
The trip isn't for a holiday- its to get a car i bought back home ... what would your suggested route be? We don't want to drive at night, but plan to do early mornings and can drive through until dark ... wouldn't mind incorporating the Great Ocean Road but don't know if its possible.
I've done the Melb-Perth and return trip 4.5 times so far, the last time in the Z. I'm guessing you might be doing this drive in a Rangie??? First point I would make is that you might struggle to get this done in 3 days without some night driving, especially if you do the GOR.

I don't know your starting point in Melbourne, or finishing point in Perth, so distances might be plus or minus 40km. As for route, if trying for 3 days:
Day 1: Melbourne - Port Augusta: approx 1100km direct. Don't recommend including GOR on a 3 day run.
Day 2: Port Augusta - Cocklebiddy: approx 1230km. Try to get further than Eucla, or else you leave a 1400km run on the last day. The stops on the Eyre Hwy between Ceduna and Norseman are mainly 100-150km apart, at most places you can get motel accomodation, or sleep in the car safely.
Day 3: Cocklebiddy - Perth: approx 1160km.

If doing the GOR, I would recommend 3.5 -4 days:
Day 1: Melbourne - Adelaide: approx 1000km via GOR assuming you go via Port Campbell and Warrnambool. Worth it for pics of the Apostles off Port Campbell.
Day 2: Adelaide - Nundroo: approx 930km. You could try to make Eucla, this would be 1270km, you then have a 1400km run into Perth. See above comments re Ceduna to Norseman.
Day 3: Nundroo - Norseman/Coolgardie: approx 1050km (Norseman), or 1210km (Coolgardie).
Day 4: Norseman/Coolgardie - Perth: approx 730km (from Norseman), or 560km (from Coolgardie).

With 2 drivers, and some night driving, you could do the GOR version in 3 days - just depends how tired you get, how many stops you make, etc.

Will you want to sleep in motels? If so, will you check and book in advance, or on the day? When going solo, I usually don't pre-plan, but take the drive as it comes - have slept in the carparks at Eucla, Nundroo, Balladonia. When going with the ex, she wanted motels all the way.

Most people only do this drive once, if ever. Do yourself a favour, take a camera, record the best bits. Photo ops with the car, etc. Do take a break along the Eyre Highway at one or more of the lookouts over the Great Australian Bight - spectacular cliff views over the Southern Ocean.

Above all, have fun - safely!
There is every chance the the Eyre Hwy, particularly the WA section, will be policed. This run has a max speed limit of 110kmh, which is hard to stick on to the Eyre Hwy (I don't!!!). On my last return trip in the Z I was stopped 8 times; twice for speeding (it is so easy), and 6 for RBT, licence checks etc. I was told that a solo driver in a car like the Z is a typical drug courier :eek::eek::eek:.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/redzedmikey/Holidays/RedZedNullarbor.jpg

Vader
16-01-2010, 11:49 AM
I have driven perth to Sydney once, Perth to Melbourne once, and then back to Perth from each.

From memory we took 4 days 3 of those 4 times.

However, you will need to drive from sunrise to sunset at the speed limit!

Be very careful at dawn and dusk, and watch out for Emu's!!

Especially around Ceduna, and on the Eyre highway.

Take tons of water (for drinking), coolant, water hoses, some tools to replace them and a 15 litre jerrycan and a pumped up spare as an absolute minimum!!

Good luck.

jaybo
17-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the responses guys - much appreciated.
I got a couple more questions:

Is it possible to do Melbourne to Adelaide going via the Great Ocean Road (Torquay to Warrnambool) in 1 day?

Would i be better off getting a head start and the day before driving down to Torquay from Melbourne? If so, how many hours is it?

Sorry if my questons seem doumb- Victoria is totally foreign to me :)

ozphoto
17-01-2010, 04:07 AM
Melbourne to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road should be achievable in one day, provided you're willing to put the hours in. I would allow 12 to 13 hours for the trip. Melbourne directly to Adelaide will take about 8.5 hours if you're not speeding. I would leave Melbourne early in the morning, say about 3am, to make sure you're on the best part of the drive in daylight. I drove the Great Ocean Road in my Z about 5 years ago and it's well worth the extra time and fuel.

Buy yourself a couple of shooroo whistles for the trip across the Nullabor. They work quite well. I've been across 9 times and have seen many cars written off after hitting big roos.

Tips to avoid fatigue:
Eat lightly and often.
Drink plenty of fluids (no alcohol at all)
Vary the cabin temp
Vary your seating position
Don't wear sunglasses if it's overcast. They will trick your brain into thinking it's time to sleep
Make regular stops and stretch your legs. Jog a lap or two around the vehicle if you like

If you feel drowsy pull over as soon as it's safe to do so and grab a kip. Even a 15min nap can make all the difference.

Have a safe trip
Cheers,
Dave

TWIN TERROR
17-01-2010, 06:29 AM
I go to adelaide from geelong regulary to visit my sister.Yes the direct route is quicker l.o.l but the great ocean road is more fun.I have done the entire coastal trip once.I will not go that way again as it adds way to much time to the trip.Also very tiring as you have to consentrate a lot more.The speed limit is 80 kph from anglesea to apollo bay and this time of the year the cops are heavy.Plan your fuel stops as towns are well apart and because it's on the map does not mean it has a servo.You can do it in a day but it's a long drive and depends on how many stops.It would be easier to share the driving with a passenger.You will be very tired by the time you get to adelaide so make sure you get a good nights sleep before heading on from adelaide.I would recommend it is a way to go if you haven't done it before but it would be better if you had 2 days for the trip as it would be more enjoyable.
Dave

jaybo
17-01-2010, 03:03 PM
thanks guys, there will be 2 of us driving and we plan to alternate the driving. i think we'll probably head down to Torquay that afternoon to get going straight away - unfortunately the trip is about getting the car home as soon as possible, but figured if we can get some scenery in along the way why not.

i arrive in Melbourne this Tuesday at midday, will pick up the car straight away then plan to head to the shops and pick up some supplies etc. From there we will probably head straight down to Torquay and get ahead as soon as possible.

i'm not that familiar with Victoria, so i'm not sure if its as remote as WA can be when driving between towns etc.

TWIN TERROR
17-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Not remote at all.

Lovic
19-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Advice: life insurance :D